Hamilton Kerala Samajam was registered as an incorporated society on 1st February 2006 realising the dream and aspiration of Malayalees settled in Hamilton for several years to form an organisation to preserve and promote our cultural identity. It is the first democratically formed Malayalee organisation in Hamilton. Since that time, Samajam has worked consistently to support members and Malayalees in Hamilton and has a strong history of quality program delivery and of encouraging innovation and creative cultural expression in traditional arts and sports. Samajam is also a registered charity under Charities Commission of New Zealand.
Our Aims and Objectives
- To promote communal harmony and to foster understanding between Malayalees and other cultures in New Zealand.
- To preserve, maintain, promote, foster and encourage the cultural identity and traditions of Malayalees in New Zealand.
- To promote and educate the Kerala native language “Malayalam”, Malayalam literature and literary traditions in New Zealand.
- To organise activities of educational value and to support education of children, youth and adults.
- To invite artists to perform in Hamilton & other places in New Zealand, if required, under the auspices of the Samajam.
- To provide support for the care of children, aged and disabled.
- To organise and promote sports & recreational activities in Hamilton
- To provide health and hygiene awareness
- To collectively celebrate social and religious festivals which are traditionally celebrated by Malayalees in their native land, Kerala.
- To represent the Hamilton Malayalee Community in order to safeguard and promote their interests while dealing with members of the public, business organisations, and government agencies.
- To assist Malayalees in all possible ways, especially in times of difficulties, misfortune and the like and also to alleviate poverty in the wider community of Hamilton.
- To assist new migrants with advice, guidance, and help, in their effort to settle down in New Zealand.
Administration and Executive Committee
The Samajam is administered by the Executive Committee elected annually by members. Details of the current Executive Committee are given in the Contact Us page.
Membership is restricted to people of Kerala ancestry living in and around Hamilton. Read the constitution of Samajam by clicking on the link given below to find out more about membership. To become a member download and print the membership application form and send the filled in application to our postal address.